The SBA loan broker is a key player in matching Main Street borrowers with SBA 7(a) and 504 lenders.
However, SBA is fraught with numerous complexities and traps that can trip up even the most experienced loan broker.
But, SBA loan brokers can now access the same professional training SBA lenders utilize — to monetize your referrals and solve your client’s capital needs.
We’ll start at the beginning. You will learn all about SBA eligibility and underwriting requirements that will allow you refer a loan that can get funded while adhering to all SBA ethical requirements.
Importantly, this training incorporates the new changes to SBA SOP 5010 (J) effective January 1, 2018.
This professionally produced high quality online video instruction will offer superior training for novices and seasoned SBA loan brokers alike.
Bob is the Publisher of the Coleman Report, a trade newsletter and website for small business bankers. He is the nationally recognized expert on small business lending.
He is a regular contributor for Fox Business News and is sourced frequently by all major financial media news outlets including the Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg.
He is a prolific keynote speaker and training instructor at events in the US and EU.
Bob has a B.A. in Medieval History from the University of California Santa Barbara and a M.B.A. in Real Estate Finance from the University of Southern California
- Participants receive weekly notifications of the uploaded Video Modules, Quizzes and reading materials.
- Each segment averages ten minutes. Each session ends with a short quiz.
- The segments consists of a number of teaching tools. Lectures will be augmented with case studies.
- Total instruction over the eight weeks will be about 30 hours.
- There will be assigned reading materials drawn from the SOPs, SBA Inspector General audits and the weekly Coleman Report trade newsletter.
- The course load averages three to four hours a week.
- Don’t worry if you miss a week due to vacation or real life issues. All video segments will be archived for you to review at your own pace at a later date.
- At the end of the course you may choose to take a final comprehensive exam.
- Once you pass the exam, you receive the professional designation of “Coleman Certified SBA Loan Broker”
- In addition, participants will have access to bonus “live” online office hours each week, so you can ask any questions about the SBA 7(a) process.
Week 1 — Overview of SBA
SBA 7(a) Loan Program
SBA 504 Loan Program
Credit Reasonably Available Elsewhere Rule
Prudent Lender Standard
Week 2 — SBA and the Loan Broker
The Two Master Rule
Allowable Fees you can Charge
SBA Form 159
Borrower Documentation Collection
SBA Form 1919
Week 3 — SBA Borrower Required Documents
Documents you need to Collect
Tips to Streamline the Paperwork Requirements
Stuff Lender’s want you to do
Equity Injection Documentation
The Lender Referral Memo
Week 4 — What the Broker Needs to Know about the Financial Statements
The Income Statement
The Balance Sheet
Pro Forma Balance Sheet
Cash Flow Analysis
Week 5 — SBA’s Definition of Affiliates and Global Cash Flow
SBA’s Definition of Affiliation
Calculating Global Cash Flow
Historical Cash Flow Analysis
Working Capital Adequacy
Sources of Affiliates Impact on Cash Flow
Week 6 — How SBA Calculates Collateral Values
Collateral Calculation for Real Estate
Collateral Calculation for FFE
When SBA Requires the Personal Residence
SBA’s Life Insurance Requirements
Week 7 — Special SBA Forms and Rules
SBA Form 1920
SBA Form 1912
Business Acquisition Loans
Week 8 — Special SBA Requirements you Need to Know
Final Ethics Review
“Thank you, Mr. Bob Coleman! I really enjoyed taking your course. The skills I learned and the informative lectures were absolutely amazing.”
First National Bank of Bastrop County
“Coleman’s SBA 7(a) Loan Underwriter course was a great investment! Bob’s thorough presentation of SBA’s requirements for underwriting and processing 7(a) loan applications, together with the real life case studies, increased my confidence that I can do SBA 7(a) lending right! It was a very beneficial ten weeks!”
Sr. Executive Vice President
Community Ventures, Lexington, KY
“I really enjoyed the training and learned a lot about the SBA program and underwriting. This was very helpful”
Vice President, Credit Manager
The Provident Bank, Amesbury, MA
What platform does the Coleman online course use?
We use Litmos as the platform. You will access the course from the Litmos website without downloading anything to your computer.
How many weeks does the course run?
Eight weeks — technically nine weeks, but we are dark for Christmas.
How much time will I need to devote to the course?
Three to four hours per segment.
How do the segments work?
Each week is divided into segments averaging ten minutes each.
Do I have to finish each segment every week?
No, you may complete the course at your own pace.
Are there reading assignments?
There will be assigned reading materials drawn from the SOPs, SBA Inspector General audits, and the Coleman Report newsletter.
Tell me about quizzes.
At the end of each segment there will be a short multiple-choice quiz to test your mastery of the segment. Segments may be viewed as many times as you wish.
What are Office Hours coaching sessions?
Each Thursday at 1:00pm ET you will have the opportunity to log in and discuss the week’s topic. If you miss a session, office hours will be recorded and archived for your future use.
How do I become a certified Coleman SBA Loan Broker?
At the end of the course, you may choose to take a final exam. Those who score 90% or higher will receive a certification plaque. The exam is open material and may be taken as many times as you wish.
How much does the course cost?
The fee is $995.
How long is the certification valid?
Certification is valid for 12 months.
How do I renew for 2019?
We’re working on that. But, if you have successfully completed your online training you may renew for 2019 with either a three hour webinar or onsite training in conjunction with NACLB. A very reasonable fee will be assessed.
1) Previous customers need only to send an email to email@example.com with “Register BDO Training” in Subject Line. We will do all the paperwork and charge your credit card on file, or send you a PayPal request.
2) Call Joseph Coleman at Customer Service at 818-790-4591 extension 1
3) Fax the order form to: 818-790-7859
4) Mail the order form to: Coleman Publishing, 28081 Marguerite Parkway, #4525, Mission Viejo, CA 92690
5) Click here for paying using PayPal
Editor, Coleman Report
28081 Marguerite Parkway #4525
Mission Viejo, CA 92690
(c) 2018 All Rights Reserved