Course Begins September 12, 2017
Go to Registration and Payment | Download a Registration Form
The SBA 7(a) loan underwriter makes the crucial judgments that go beyond typical underwriting to ensure the validity of the federal government guarantee for your institution’s SBA loan portfolio.
Loan underwriters are trained to assess risk and craft solutions to mitigate credit risk.
SBA loan underwriters have additional responsibilities and it’s simply not enough to insert a clause into your credit memorandum that the SBA guaranty is the loan risk mitigation.
Rather, the underwriter must have contextural knowledge of SBA’s rules and regulations. Prudent due diligence is required in order to not compromise the integrity of the SBA loan guaranty.
This ten-week online course will help underwriters master the nuances of SBA lending and be able to correctly underwrite all types of loans, applying the SBA 7(a) guidelines every time.
This professionally produced high quality online video instruction will offer superior training for novices and seasoned SBA loan experts alike.
Bob is the Publisher of the Coleman Report, a trade newsletter and website for small business bankers. He is the nationally recognized expert on small business lending.
He is a regular contributor for Fox Business News and is sourced frequently by all major financial media news outlets including the Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg.
He is a prolific keynote speaker and training instructor at events in the US and EU.
Bob has a B.A. in Medieval History from the University of California Santa Barbara and a M.B.A. in Real Estate Finance from the University of Southern California
- Attendees will become experts of the SBA’s SOP 5010 5(I) requirements, which minimizes the bank’s liability, repair costs and lost guarantees.
- We will cover the entire underwriting process including; use of proceeds, loan terms and conditions, credit standard policies, the loan authorization, and protecting the guaranty. It’s everything you need to know.
- Solve the problem of training people in this highly specialized skill—this is one of very few qualified training options—particularly one taught by the industries national expert.
- Let team members learn at their own speed on their own schedules from wherever they choose—format of total convenience.
- Earn certification that proves you have learned valuable skills and fortifies your resume—professional validation and tangible reward.
- Increase the competence of team members in a formal, professional manner.
- Answer the question posed by SBA and the regulators of how you train your employees.
- How this flexible course fits the schedule of busy professionals
- Participants receive weekly notifications of the uploaded Video Modules, Quizzes and reading materials.
- Each segment averages ten minutes. Each session ends with a short quiz.
- The segments consists of a number of teaching tools. Lectures will be augmented with case studies.
- Total instruction over the eight weeks will be about 30 hours.
- There will be assigned reading materials drawn from the SOPs, SBA Inspector General audits and the weekly Coleman Report trade newsletter.
- The course load averages three to four hours a week.
- Don’t worry if you miss a week due to vacation or real life issues. All video segments will be archived for you to review at your own pace at a later date.
- At the end of the course you may choose to take a final comprehensive exam.
- Once you pass the exam, you receive the professional designation of “Coleman Certified SBA 7(a) Underwriter”
- In addition, participants will have access to bonus “live” online office hours each week, so you can ask any questions about the SBA 7(a) process.
Week 1 — Overview of SBA
Video Module 1: SBA Loan Underwriting Introduction
Video Module 2: Small Business Administration
Video Module 3: SBA 7(a) Loan Program
Video Module 4: Credit Reasonably Available Elsewhere
Video Module 5: Prudent Lender Standard
Week 2 — The SBA 7(a) Underwriter
Video Module 6: SBA and the 5 C’s
Video Module 7: SBA Form 1919 Part 1
Video Module 8: SBA Form 1919 Part 2
Video Module 9: SBA Form 1920 Part 1
Video Module 10: SBA Form 1920 Part 2
Week 3 — The Income Statement (Case Study)
Video Module 11: Financial Statements
Video Module 12: Revenues and the Costs of Goods Sold
Video Module 13: G&A Expense
Video Module 14: Owner Draw & Profit
Video Module 15: EBITDA and Addbacks
Week 4 — The Balance Sheet
Video Module 16: Assets
Video Module 17: Liabilities
Video Module 18: ProForma Balance Sheet
Video Module 19: Numbers
Week 5 — Calculating Global Cash Flow
Video Module 20: Calculating Global Cash Flow
Video Module 21: Historical Cash Flow Analysis
Video Module 22: Projections and Cash Flow
Video Module 23: Working Capital Adequacy
Video Module 24: Sources of Affiliates Impact on Cash Flow
Week 6 — Collateral Calculation
Video Module 25: Collateral Calculation
Video Module 26: Borrower Documentation
Video Module 27: SBA Form 1920
Video Module 28: Refinance, Construction and Other SBA Rules
Week 7 — Special SBA Loan Terms and Conditions
Video Module 29: SBA Loan Structure
Video Module 30: Appraisals
Video Module 31: Environmental Reports
Video Module 32: Business Valuations
Video Module 33: Insurance
Video Module 34: Non-Citizen Provisions & IRS Form 4506
Week 8 — SBA Loan Term and Conditions Part II
Video Module 35: Equity Injection
Video Module 36: Franchise Loans
Video Module 37: Business Acquisition
Video Module 38: Assignment of Lease and Landlord’s Waiver
Video Module 39: Construction Loans
Week 9 — Writing the Credit Memo for Loans Less Than $350,000
Video Module 40: SBA Form 159
Video Module 41: SBA Express
Video Module 42: Grey’s Dry Cleaners
Video Module 43: Credit Memorandum under $350,000 Part 1
Video Module 44: Credit Memorandum under $350,000 Part 2
Video Module 45: SBA Express Authorization Template
Week 10 — Credit Memo and Conclusion
Video Module 46: The Loan Authorization and Loan Agreement
Video Module 47: Franklin Brothers Credit Memo Part I
Video Module 48: Franklin Brothers Credit Memo Part II
Video Module 49: Franklin Brothers Credit Memo Part III
Video Module 50: Conclusion
Final Exam — SBA 7(a) Loan Underwriting Training
“Thank you, Mr. Bob Coleman! I really enjoyed taking your course. The skills I learned and the informative lectures were absolutely amazing.”
First National Bank of Bastrop County
“Coleman’s SBA 7(a) Loan Underwriter course was a great investment! Bob’s thorough presentation of SBA’s requirements for underwriting and processing 7(a) loan applications, together with the real life case studies, increased my confidence that I can do SBA 7(a) lending right! It was a very beneficial ten weeks!”
Sr. Executive Vice President
Community Ventures, Lexington, KY
“I really enjoyed the training and learned a lot about the SBA program and underwriting. This was very helpful”
Vice President, Credit Manager
The Provident Bank, Amesbury, MA
What platform does the Coleman online course use?
We use Litmos as the platform. You will access the course from the Litmos website without downloading anything to your computer.
How many weeks does the course run?
How much time will I need to devote to the course?
Three to four hours per segment.
How do the segments work?
Each week is divided into segments averaging ten minutes each.
Do I have to finish each segment every week?
No, you may complete the course at your own pace.
Are there reading assignments?
There will be assigned reading materials drawn from the SOPs, SBA Inspector General audits, and the Coleman Report newsletter.
Tell me about quizzes.
At the end of each segment there will be a short multiple-choice quiz to test your mastery of the segment. Segments may be viewed as many times as you wish.
What are Office Hours coaching sessions?
Each Thursday at 1:00pm ET you will have the opportunity to log in and discuss the week’s topic. If you miss a session, office hours will be recorded and archived for your future use.
How do I become a certified Coleman SBA 7(a) Underwriter?
At the end of the course, you may choose to take a final exam. Those who score 90% or higher will receive a certification plaque. The exam is open material and may be taken as many times as you wish.
Is there an additional fee to become a Coleman Certified SBA 7(a) Loan Underwriter?
How much does the course cost?
The fee is $995.
1) Previous customers need only to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Register BDO Training” in Subject Line. We will do all the paperwork and charge your credit card on file, or send you a PayPal request.
2) Call Joseph Coleman at Customer Service at 818-790-4591 extension 1
3) Fax the order form to: 818-790-7859
4) Mail the order form to: Coleman Publishing, 28081 Marguerite Parkway, #4525, Mission Viejo, CA 92690
5) Click here for paying using PayPal
Editor, Coleman Report
28081 Marguerite Parkway #4525
Mission Viejo, CA 92690
(c) 2017 All Rights Reserved