October 13, 2023
Fraud Friday – 40+ Broward Sheriff’s Office Employees in the Hot Seat, Accused of PPP Fraud
This week, the Broward Sheriff’s Office (BSO) in Florida is under the spotlight after at least 40 employees were indicted for committing PPP fraud. Many of the employees consist of BSO deputies, detention deputies, and even ranking officers. Internal suspensions began last week at BSO with uniforms, guns, and badges being taken away.
The main BSO headquarters closed their doors to the public Thursday morning as the alleged PPP fraudsters appeared in federal court. More individuals involved in the case will appear in court later in the month.
The Florida Bulldog was able to speak with someone from the office: “Anywhere from 50 to 70 guys is the rumor spreading around over here,” says one BSO deputy who, like others interviewed for this story, spoke on condition of anonymity. “Fifteen or 20 are law enforcement and the rest are jailers and, you know, civilians.”
South Florida Sun Sentinel provided information on a few of the defendants:
Deputy Keith Dunkley voluntarily surrendered on Thursday morning and was ordered to give up his passport. He decided to plead not guilty and will be going to trial for allegedly submitting fraudulent applications for a company Global Group Alliances, LLC. The Miami Herald reported that his company is accused of receiving an $18,450 PPP loan and a $17,500 EIDL.
Deputy Stephanie Diane Smith, an employee since 1996, will be arraigned on October 26th after hiring a defense attorney. According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, the judge denied her request to leave the country to attend a wedding in Mexico.
A 16-year Sheriff’s veteran, Deputy La’Keitha Lawhorn, is charged with three counts of wire fraud. A PPP loan was approved for her business, Home Empire Enterprises, LLC. South Florida Sun Sentinel also reported that the judge denied permission for her to attend a wedding in Jamaica.
Deputy Jean Pierre Toussaint is charged with one count of wire fraud after allegedly receiving a $20,555 PPP loan for an unspecified business.
Ke’Shondra Davis was indicted for the PPP fraud scheme, but she also has a state misdemeanor battery case pending.
- Katrina Brown – 3 counts of wire fraud and accused of applying for and receiving 2 PPP loans.
- Alexandra Acosta – 1 count of wire fraud for one PPP loan.
- Jewell Farrell Johnson – 2 counts of wire fraud for 2 PPP loans.
- Carolyn Denis Wade – 1 count of wire fraud.
- Rorie Brown – 1 PPP loan.
- Alexis Monique Green – 2 counts of wire fraud for 2 PPP loans.
- Ritchie Noah Dubuisson – 1 count of wire fraud for 1 PPP loan.
- Allen Dorvil – 1 count of wire fraud for 1 PPP loan.
- Ancy Morancy – Sergeant, 1 count of wire fraud for 1 PPP loan.
- Marcus Errol Powell – 1 count of wire fraud for 1 PPP loan.
- Derrick J. Nesbitt – 2 counts of wire fraud for 2 PPP loans.
- George Anthony III – Sergeant, 2 counts of wire fraud for 2 PPP loans.
The story is continuing to develop.