Time: 2:00 p.m. Eastern
Download a Registration Form
Food service establishments can be great business for SBA lenders—but beware: Winter is coming for the restaurant industry. While most restaurants are doing well today, a cyclical downturn could hit restaurateurs—and their lenders—at any time. Subway restaurants, America’s most ubiquitous food service chain, just shut down 359 locations in 2016—the first time Subway ever had a net reduction. Why?
To give you the answer—as well as prepare you for disruptions that are simmering beneath the surface in this business segment—this Coleman webinar gives your underwriting staff new criteria for accurately assessing restaurant loan risk.
The good news is, restaurants are the number one NAICS code for SBA lenders. The bad news is, restaurants make for notoriously risky loans—even during good times.
Today the industry faces upheaval due to a confluence of six disruptive influences that could easily turn imprudent loans into disasters: Robotics, escalating minimum wages, zombie malls, immigration policy, food delivery services and social media. This webinar helps underwriters understand how these critical factors affect risk—as well as how astute lenders can minimize and mitigate them.
Coleman Report editor and publisher Bob Coleman has been following, writing about and advising SBA lenders on the volatile restaurant business for nearly ten years. He will review all prudent due-diligence efforts necessary to protect your loan and guaranty, as well as enable the entire SBA lending team to feel secure.
- Where we are in the restaurant financing cycle
- How to tighten your credit box standards, and what the standards should be
- Common qualities and behaviors of successful start-up restaurants
- How macro-economic trends will impact restaurant cash flow
- Social media sites you should visit on every restaurant loan.
- The important metrics in operating a restaurant, including off-financial statements numbers
- Issues your underwriters must address in the credit memo regarding the franchisor
- Traps with alternative lending options to your borrower
- “Institutional” Restaurant Financing Knowledge from the Experts
- Tips to accurately calculate a restaurant’s cash flow
Bob Coleman is the Author of “Money Money Everywhere and Not a Drop for Main Street.” He is the Publisher of the Coleman Report, a trade newsletter and website for SBA and small business lenders. He produces online training videos and webinars for small business lenders to teach them to make less risky loans to Main Street.
- Vertical definitions updated for 2017 — quick-service, fast casual, casual dining and fine dining
- Access to 2017 supply and demand stats
- Quick tips to evaluate a location.
- SBA rules for financing restaurants
- SBA franchise rules for restaurants
- SBA affiliation rules for restaurants
- Loan performance stats by franchisees
- Financial statement metrics for restaurants
- Off-balance sheet metrics
- What brands are hot, and which are not
- What verticals are hot, and which are not
- Lease terms the lender needs for financing
- The landlord waiver
- The assignment of rents
- How to value restaurant collateral
- Restaurants and SBA Collateral Requirements
- What role should liquor licenses play in your evaluation?
- Franchise vs. Mom & Pop considerations
- Environmental assessments and restaurants
- Underwriting projections
- The ten questions the underwriter must ask the applicant
- Restaurants and your loan policy
- How to assess management
- Restaurant acquisition structures
- Insurance requirements
- Servicing requirements
- Restaurant failure statistics
- Benchmark food and labor cost numbers
- How much equity should you demand?
- How to use social media to complement your underwriting
- Vertical market risks
- Traps in lending to a single operator who wants to expand
- Multi-operator best practices and benchmarks
- Restaurant Valuation 101
1) Previous customers need only to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Register Restaurant Webinar” in the Subject Line. We will do all the paperwork and charge your credit card on file, or send you a PayPal request.
2) Call Joseph Coleman at Customer Service at 818-790-4591 extension 1
3) Fax the order form to: 818-790-7859
4) Mail the order form to: Coleman Publishing, 28081 Marguerite Pkwy, #4525, Mission Viejo, CA 92690
5) Click “Add to Cart” to pay using PayPal
What are Coleman Webinars?
Coleman is the largest producer of small business banking video webinars and online training for the banking industry. 95% of the top 100 SBA 7(a) lenders are our clients. Our events help make your staff experts in the issues covered, which translates to higher performance, higher yield and greater safety in your lending practices.
Our faculty are professional instructors are the absolute experts in their fields.
Why attend Coleman Training Webinars?
A Coleman Webinar is a very cost effective training solution. No airfare, no hotels. Just invite as many people as you wish into your conference room and turn on the computer. You have several options to view the program: You may watch and listen on screen, or watch on screen and listen in on your phone, or simply listen on your phone. The phone number will be provided with your webinar handouts.
You can choose to have any many connections nationwide as you wish when you purchase unlimited access for only $489.
Can our staff ask questions during the webinar?
Questions are strongly encouraged. There are two ways to ask a question: One is to ask the question via the chat box on the GoToWebinar dashboard. The second is to send an email to email@example.com. Also, feel free to ask pre-webinar questions. Your questions will be answered by our expert faculty. All our webinars are recorded.
Can I get a copy of the webinar?
Buyers of the unlimited site license option will receive a DVD recording of the event to share with anyone you wish. A transcript of the program is also provided to purchasers of the unlimited site license.
How does the webinar work?
We use GoToWebinar for the webinar platform. You will receive a link that will direct you to an Internet site to view the presentation. If you would like to test this process to make sure you will be able to access the link through your system’s firewall, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and he will schedule a test run.
How do we access GoToWebinar?
There are two ways to access the webinar. The first is to simply click on the link we will provide when you register.
If you have a fireall issue, or you can’t get the GoToWebinar link to work, don’t panic!
The second way to access the webinar is directly from the GoToWebinar website. You will simply need to input the webinar ID and access code. These will also be provided when you register, and again the day before the webinar when we distribute the handouts.
Note we will open the webinar for attendees to join at 12:00pm ET. This will give each attendee two full hours before the webinar begins to troubleshoot any technical issues. Call (818) 775-4591 if you need assistance.
Will we be able to see our Coleman Webinar speakers during the webinar? You will see our speakers live through a video feed. You may customize the size of the speaker and PowerPoint presentations by clicking on the webcam button on the GoToWebinar dashboard. You may position the speakers at the top, bottom, right or left hand sides. You may also choose to eliminate the video stream and just view the powerpoint.
Will I receive handouts for the webinar?
You will receive the pdf handout via email the day before the event. Copies may be distributed to all of your attendees.
What if I miss some or all of my webinar?
If something comes up and you miss any part of the webinar, or there are technical issues, such as a power failure, Internet dropout, fire alarm drills, actual fires or, earthquake (yes, that has happened!) simply email email@example.com and he will send you a link, so you may watch all or part of the webinar at your leisure. There is no charge for this service.
What are your pricing and guaranty policies?
1) The single user registration fee of $389 is based on location not attendance. You may have as many people in one location attend. You may distribute the materials to anybody in your company.
2) For only $100 more ($489), you may invite as many people from your institution from as many locations as you wish. (You also get the reply link and transcript!) We will forward you a link that allows you to sign up as many people as you wish.
3) Substitutions are allowed at no charge.
4) Cancellations receive a 100% credit for any Coleman product.
5) As with all our products, we offer a 100% money back satisfaction guaranty — no questions asked.
Editor, Coleman Report
28081 Marguerite Pkwy #4525
Mission Viejo, CA 92690
(c) 2017 All Rights Reserved