June 20, 2016
By Bob Coleman
Editor, Main Street Monday
Main Street Monday — Five Quick Small Business Stats — Owner Comp and Employment Numbers
I love stats. Since you are reading this, I suspect you are one of the number crunching aficionados out there also.
Today’s stats courtesy of the SBA Office of Advocacy.
1) The median income for individuals who were self-employed at their own incorporated businesses was $49,204 in 2014.
2) For individuals self-employed at their own unincorporated firms, this figure was $22,209.
3) In the second quarter of 2014, 220,000 establishments started up in the United States and 205,000 exited.
4) Small business created 1.1 million net new jobs in 2013.
5) 48% of us work for a small business — defined as a company less than 500 employees.