June 14, 2022
SBA Hot Topic Tuesday – Senate Receives 7 Small Business Bills Passed by the House
Last Thursday, seven different bipartisan bills were read to the Senate and referred to the Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship after a vast majority of the House agreed to pass each of them. The aim of the legislation is to improve the operation and oversight of SBA programs. “These seven bills will help make key SBA programs more secure, accessible, and focused on the most pressing challenges for small firms”, says House Chairwoman Nydia M. Velázquez of New York.
These are the bills that are waiting for Senate review:
• H.R. 7352, PPP and Bank Fraud Enforcement Harmonization Act of 2022: All forms of PPP loan fraud, including forgiveness, will have an extended statute of limitations, up to 10 years
• H.R. 7334, COVID-19 EIDL Fraud Statute of Limitations Act of 2022: A 10-year statute of limitations would be established for EIDL fraud, EIDL Advance fraud, and Targeted EIDL Advance fraud
• H.R. 7622, Small Business Workforce Pipeline Act of 2022: Allows Small Business Development Centers to aid small businesses regarding apprenticeships, pre-apprenticeships, and job training programs by spreading information from the Department of Labor
• H.R. 7664, Supporting Small Business and Career and Technical Education Act of 2022: SBDCs and Women’s Business Centers would assist small businesses in hiring graduates from career and technical education programs. It would also support career and technical education graduates in starting their own small business
• H.R. 7670, Women-Owned Small Business Program Transparency Act: Reporting requirements for the Women-Owned Small Business Federal Contracting Program would be established to improve transparency and accountability, and ensures Congress receives the necessary data. SBA would be required to provide information about the number of contracting dollars issued, number of certifications issued, number of companies being decertified, and the number of incorrectly awarded contracts
• H.R. 5879, Hubzone Price Evaluation Preference Clarification Act of 2021: Clarify the price evaluation preference which evens the playing field for HUBZone businesses
• H.R. 7694, Strengthening Subcontracting for Small Businesses Act of 2022: Encourage the compliance of subcontracting plans by extending the requirement that an agency must consider prior compliance with contracting plans.